Indian thandai, (which literally means ‘something that cools’), is a sweet, creamy milk drink flavored with nuts and spices such as cardamom, fennel, rose petals, and poppy seeds. It gives energy and it’s a refreshment drink for our body and mind. March is the time of the year when Indians look forward to Holi, the festival of colors; and its also the time to make and share with friends and family, this delicious festive drink – Thandai. Traditionally, it is made with the addition of bhaang (a derivative of marijuana) but here we will show you the “virgin” version of it. So, lets learn how to make this thirst quenching but mouth watering Vegan Gluten free delicacy – Thandai.
Health benefits of Thandai
Energizer: It gives energy and it’s a refreshment drink for our body and mind.
Boosting the immune power: It’s works as immune booster. The Fennel seeds have antioxidants, anti-flatulence, cooling property and Almonds are gives vitamin E & are known for their antioxidant effects.
Saffron: This is the excellent spice or herb that prevents from arthritis, cancer and improves vision. It’s also useful into medicines as antiseptic, antidepressant, anti-oxidant, digestive.
Rose petals: This is very useful to cure digestion problems, irregular periods and stomach diseases. It is also useful in insomnia and nervous weakness.
Cinnamon: It lowers blood sugar levels, reduce heart disease risk factors, improves skin conditions, stimulates hair growth.
What are the Ingredients to make Thandai?
- 1⁄3 cup raw whole almonds
- 3 tbsp. melon seeds (from 1⁄2 cantaloupe)
- 3 tbsp. poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp. raw cashew halves
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. raw shelled pistachios
- 4 cups Almond milk
- 1 cup coconut sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 10 black peppercorns
- 10 green cardamom pods
- 1 (1″) stick cinnamon, broken into pieces
- A few strands of saffron (optional)
- 20 rose petals, plus more for garnish
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg, as garnish
Instructions to make the Thandai
- Combine almonds, seeds, cashews, and pistachios with 2 cups of water; soak for 1 hour. Remove and discard skins from almonds and pistachios. Drain nuts and seeds; set aside.
- Bring the almond milk to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan. Add coconut sugar and saffron, stirring until the coconut sugar is completely dissolved; set it aside.
- Toast the fennel, peppercorns, cardamom and cinnamon in an 8″ skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 4 minutes; let cool slightly.
- Transfer spices to a food processor, along with the nut mixture, 1 tbsp. milk mixture, and rose petals. Puree to a smooth paste. Whisk paste into almond milk mixture, and strain through a fine mesh sieve, pressing on solids. Refrigerate strained almond milk mixture until chilled.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg and rose petals.
How to serve your very own Vegan Gluten Free Thandai?
Thandai or spiced Almond milk can be server in KABINETo’s 100% pure Copper Cups. This 100% solid copper cup, handcrafted in India, will undoubtedly glamour up a table or a shelf. People from India have been drinking water out of copper utensils for centuries, taking advantage of it’s anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, weight-loss helping & digestive properties
These cups can also be used to serve the famous cocktail called Moscow Mule. It makes a good pair with this copper bottle.